Download the PDF


In this Issue:

  • Saint Anthony’s Church in Early Long Beach

  • First Casa Alegre, then off to the Hollywood Bowl

  • Message from the President:  Please encourage anyone who cares about the future of our historic and cultural resources to join us.

  • Judy Swaaley: LBH 2010 Volunteer of the Year

  • What's up at The Bembridge Heritage Homesite

  • Bembridge Quilt

  • William Andrews Clark Memorial Library University of California, Los Angeles

  • Membership Report — September 2010


Saint Anthony’s Church in Early Long Beach

By Louise Ivers

 St. Athony's Early Long Beach CA

The first religious structure in Long Beach was the Methodist Tabernacle of 1885 where camp meetings were held, but in the early years of the twentieth century numerous churches were constructed in the city, whose inhabitants became known for their piety and temperance. All of these turn of the century buildings, except the Methodist Church of 1899 designed by Henry Starbuck and Saint Anthony’s Catholic Church of 1902-03, have been demolished.

Both of these edifices have been moved from their original sites and only St Anthony’s still retains its original aspect. Relocated to 1851 Cerritos Avenue some time after 1914, it was renamed Our Lady of Refuge when it served as a mission in a Hispanic neighborhood. More recently it became the Mount Carmel Cambodian Center, reflecting a change in the demographics of the area.

In 1899 Bishop Montgomery attended the annual Southern California Catholic picnic, which was held in Long Beach that year, and urged the founding of a church here. At that time Catholics had to make an time consuming journey to Wilmington to attend mass on Sundays. Soon after the bishop’s visit a group of prominent Long Beach citizens formed a building committee and purchased land at the corner of Sixth Street and Olive Avenue.

Download the pdf to read the complete article.