In this Issue:
- HISTORIC CAR DEALERS OF LONG BEACH
- Annual Meeting at the Assistance League
- City Council recognizes “Preservation Month"
- Santa Anita Summer Concert July 23
- Long Beach Heritage Hosts Historic District Leaders Meeting
- An Invaluable Volunteer
- Bembridge House News
- Volunteer Spotlight: Jessica Spencer
- Bringing Lamppost History Back
- A Special Thank You
- North Pine Ave Walking Tour
- Old Telephone Building Getting a Facelift
HISTORIC CAR DEALERS OF LONG BEACH
By Louise Ivers
Automobile dealers in our city were traditionally clustered on American Avenue (now Long Beach Boulevard) near Anaheim Street and Paci c Coast Highway and on Anaheim Street west of Atlantic Avenue. A few of these notable structures still survive on Anaheim and have landmark desig- nations, but others are endangered by a new plan to rid Long Beach Boulevard of all businesses related to cars and replace them with high rise apartments near the Blue Line stations. The original Packard deal- ership on Anaheim Street was designed by Watson L. Hawk in 1926 and has a classical arcade supported by Corinthian columns. Also on Anaheim Street, Hancock Motors, which sold Hupmobiles, was the first example of the highly ornamented Art Deco style in the city by Cecil and Arthur Schilling in 1928. Packard Motors moved to American Avenue in 1945 in a Streamline Moderne building designed by Hugh R. Davies, which has a convex façade and large curved sign. Campbell Buick constructed a new sales office on American Avenue in 1959 by architect Harold Wildman in the Mid- Century Modern mode, with a projecting roof of stepped geometric shapes... Click Here to Read the Full Article.