The Long Beach Petroleum Club
The Long Beach Petroleum Club is a social organization that was founded in 1955 and moved to its current location at 3636 Linden Avenue in 1958. The Petroleum Club is now in escrow to be purchased by an undisclosed local buyer.
Ground was broken in 1957 for the new 14,000 square foot building by architect John Richard Shelley. The facilities include several meeting spaces, a large theater/banquet room, and a large circular bar. This legacy business has played a central role in the Bixby Knolls community and citywide patrons who consider it a premier venue for special events and members-only exclusive access to the facilities and swimming pool.
The building is also a notable example of Modern design by local architect J. Richard Shelley. Many interior features remain intact and the primary facade of the building has a distinguished barrel vault roofline, stained-glass clerestory windows, and rough-cut stone veneer. Shelley was raised in Long Beach and established a productive career in the city with business partners Vern Hedden and Francis Merchant. Shelley’s work from this period also includes Temple Beth Zion in Lakewood and the Hyatt House Hotel at San Francisco Airport.
The Port of Long Beach Administration Building
Architect Warren Dedrick designed the Port of Long Beach Administration Building, completed in 1959, and it served as the headquarters of port activity until 2014. The building will soon be demolished with a replacement project yet to be approved. Long Beach Heritage has been working with the Port for several years to relocate the ceramic tile mural, created by artist Paul Souza for Gladding McBean, on the primary facade of the building. A campaign to relocate the mural is almost fully funded and we welcome your donations. Removal of the tile was completed in October 2018 and the mural will remain in storage until a new location is secured.
Former Parsonage of the First Congressional Church
The former parsonage of the First Congressional Church, formerly located at 640 Pacific Avenue since 1927, was moved in a fourth time in November 2018 survived three prior moves and recently completed a fourth to make way for a new residential complex by Holland Partner Group. The Queen Anne Victorian cottage was built in 1887 and is listed as a local landmark. It is now located on West 10th Street in the Willmore City Historic District and will undergo rehabilitation.
Eldridge Combs Office Building
The Elridge Combs Office Building (4241 Long Beach Boulevard) and the former Hof’s Hut Restaurant on the adjacent parcel were designed by master architect Edward Killingsworth in the 1960s. Both properties were recently sold to a new owner and advocacy efforts produced a compatible design that aimed to retain many character-defining features, though notable alterations are expected to convert the former Combs building to a dental office.
Hof’s Hut Bixby Knolls
Hof’s Hut was a fixture in Bixby Knolls for 55 years, but Hof’s Hospitality Group decided to permanently vacate the leased building after a fire in 2015. More than 1,300 people signed a petition to encourage restoration of the modern restaurant designed by master architect Edward Killingsworth. The building was sold and the City of Long Beach diligently worked with the new owner to produce an updated restaurant design that was sensitive to the original building. In October 2017, demolition work exceeded the approved plans and a stop-work order was issued.
The City of Long Beach has been working with stakeholders to revise guidelines for local historic districts. The public comment period ended in May 2018 and updated guidelines are being released individually for each district. Design guidelines for California Heights Historic District were adopted at the November 2018 Cultural Heritage Commission meeting.