The local diner. The neighborhood theater. The corner stores, watering holes, shops, and services that helped define our communities still play a key role in our daily lives. They help make Long Beach, Long Beach. Yet these businesses can face challenges as the city evolves and longtime proprietors retire. The Long Beach Legacy Business Program recognizes and promotes longtime establishments that contribute to our city’s culture and identity. By raising their profile and encouraging their use, the program seeks to help these businesses serve the community for years to come.
About the Legacy Business Program
The Legacy Business Program recognizes a place of business or company that has operated in Long Beach for a minimum of 25 years* and contributes to the character of a neighborhood and our city by offering an experience that is uniquely Long Beach. This initiative helps support these special places by celebrating their history, defining features, and role in our city’s thriving cultural scene. It is not a landmark designation program, but a purely honorary recognition effort that helps draw patrons to a business and create a network of distinctive locations.
- The business has been in operation for 35 years or longer
- The business meets at least TWO of these four criteria
- Has been in operation for 25 year or more
- Contributes to a sense of history to the surrounding neighborhood
- Associated with distinctive architecture, interior design, or landscape
- Possesses significant cultural value
Benefits of Certified Legacy Businesses:
- Induction at a public ceremony
- Branded signage, including a wall plaque and window decal
- Inclusion on the Long Beach Legacy Business map and brochure, distributed citywide and updated annually
- Use of the Long Beach Legacy Business logo and certification for marketing and promotion
- Promotion by Long Beach Heritage through its website, social media, newsletter, emails, and media outreach
- Additional promotional assistance from program partners
- Connections to other resources for small businesses, such as facade improvement grants and programs to help retiring business owners who’d like their business to continue
Become a Founding Sponsor to help us launch this initiative!
The Legacy Business Committee, Board of Directors, and Long Beach Council Members will nominate the first round of inductees to the program. The inaugural inductee ceremony will take place in June 2020 during Architecture Week ( delayed due to COVID-19).
Do you have a business you would like to suggest? Share it with us!