Report an Issue


We are a volunteer-driven organization and that includes your vigilance in reporting non-permitted work to our landmarks and historic districts. 

In all historic districts a Certificate of Appropriateness is required for any construction work on your home, including changing windows and exterior painting. The Certificate of Appropriateness (C of A) is in addition to any necessary building permits. This ensures that character-defining features are retained and work is safely completed. 

To reach Code Enforcement call (562) 570-CODE (2633) or go to On Saturdays, call (562) 570-0000 between 7:00am to 5:00pm. 

All reports are anonymous and you will only be asked for the project address and the type of work in progress. 

If Code Enforcement finds that no building permit or C of A was issued, they will issue a Stop Work Order to pause any construction activity until the proper C of A and permits have been issued. If they fail to comply, this will result in administration citation fines and possible referral to the City Prosecutor’s Office.

Learn more about obtaining building permits and Certificates of Appropriateness at or 562-570-6194.

Photo credit: Christopher Launi